Skip to main content

Im trying to file for divorce in new jersey but i dont know where my husband is located at? how can i find his address?

Paterson, NJ |

i went to legal aid and they told me i could find him by doing a post office address search or go to dmv to get his address. but i dont know if i have to wait until i get the papers or can i start searching now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You can try a computer search,post office look-up or motor vehilce. The court also accepts service on his last known address if you can show a diligent effort to locate his new address. Start searching now.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer