Skip to main content

Im only 16 in i was charged with Aggravated assault , Will I go to jail

Greenville, MS |

I was at school doing a project and a boy came behind me n tried to force my head to turn around . He let me go and he pushed me , I had a quick reflex and I stabbed him with scissors !

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You do not need to post any more information on a public forum. There are many questions to be answered. Are you being charged as an adult? If so then the penalty for Aggravated Assault carries up to 20 years.
Regardless, you and your parents need to retain an attorney immediately. Additionally, you do not need to discuss details with your parents, for there is no parent/child privilege .

The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but instead need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice.


If you are charged as an adult, you face serious penalties. Aggravated assault is outlined by Mississippi Code Annotated § 97-3-7:

(2)(a) A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he (i) attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another, or causes such injury purposely, knowingly or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; (ii) attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon or other means likely to produce death or serious bodily harm; or (iii) causes any injury to a child who is in the process of boarding or exiting a school bus in the course of a violation of Section 63-3-615; and, upon conviction, he shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one (1) year or in the Penitentiary for not more than twenty (20) years.

Therefore, you face up to 1 year in the county jail or up to 20 years in the custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections.

Because of your age, it potentially could be resolved in youth court; however, it is highly unlikely considering the nature of the charge. I would recommend you speaking with an attorney as soon as possible. There may be some options; however, you need someone working on your behalf. You do not want to be a convicted felon at the age of 16.


There is no confidentiality online. Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members:

Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer