Skip to main content

Im on a green card and have a criminal record on possession, can i leave and come back without been stopped?

Key West, FL |

my charge was in 1998 and i had renewed my green card in 2007 for another 10 years.. can i change my status and become a citizen? or can i leave the country and come back without being stopped when i come back? or how can i fix the charges with immigration?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may be stopped and depending on your charges be detained ( like in immigration detention center detained ). Go to an attorney before traveling or applying for Naturalization.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. You should not rely solely on the information provided in this page as every case is different and laws are in a constant state of change.


It depends what substance, how much, and other information.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


If it's simple possession you should be fine. As long as the 5 preceding years before you file for Naturalization are clean, then you should be able to naturalize as well.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer