Skip to main content

Im going to marry my Girl friend with the status of STUDENT VISA, how long it takes the process of petition if I marry here now?

San Diego, CA |

My girlfriend status is STUDENT VISA, and want to marry her so she can stay here in california with me permenently, HOw long it takes the paper works and the steps so she can stay here permenently, how much all it costs and what is the requirements? Im a Us citizen, how long she can get the greencard and and when she's allow to work? is there any requirement for me also as Petioner, do I need to be a good credit? have a work? my Girlfriend is already here but STUDENT VISA and she using her opt for working,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


How many times are you planning on asking this question? Visit Find estimated processing times table and look up I-130 processing times as well as I-485. You are asking us to estimate. These are best estimates available.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


It takes about 90 days to get the work permit and about six months to get permanent residence. You need to have income of at least 125% of the poverty rate.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


If you are U.S. citizen and get married to someone who is currently in the U.S. in a valid nonimmigrant status, you can file an I-130 Petition on behalf of your wife and she file an I-485 application for Adjustment of Status concurrently with the I-130 petition. You can find more information about the process at Please note that there are several key issues that are very important in a marriage based case and the process can often be complex. You should consult an immigration attorney to discuss this further.

Disclaimer: The information provided here is generalized and should not be relied upon as legal advice. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer