Skip to main content

Im facing charges for a hit and run. How should I handle the situation?

Westfield, NJ |

I backed into a vehicle and didn't notice any damage so I left. A few weeks later someone at the business where the accident happened approached me and said that I had caused damage. I willingly left them my info thinking It was the right thing to do. They called the police afte I left and I got a call today. The police department told me I will have to go to court to face 'leaving the scene' charges. The damage on my car that the investigating officer found doesn't match what happened. I backed into the car and the damage the officer found is on my front end. They also said that there was a witness. I was told that if I deny involvement they'll try to pin me with careless driving and failure to report an accident. They said they'd talk to the prosecutor since this is my first offense.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Retain a criminal defense attorney. Don't make further statements to the police.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.


Hire a really good criminal defense attorney ASAP.

The information above is for informational purposes only, is not intended as legal advice, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Simply retain a local criminal defense lawyer from your town and your odds of beating this will increase exponentially.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


If the accident caused only vehicle damage, you could face up to 30 days in jail, six month driver’s license suspension, and fines reaching $400. In addition to criminal charges and the effect of a suspended driver’s license, a hit and run conviction can increase your insurance rates or cause you to lose your car insurance altogether. Please contact my office so we can set up a free consultation.


First of all leaving the scene is much worse than careless and failure to report. So it makes no sense them telling you that. I handle these cases on a regular basis. Call me for more information but definitely call someone.

John Ducey

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer