Skip to main content

Im a apartment was in foreclosure.and it was sold.

Miami, FL |

and new owner and realtors send me a paper that i have 1 option.they gave me 30 days to move out and paying 1000 dollars.cause my lease was month to month.and if i dont move out and get the money how long can i stay here? some lawyers say they can evict me in 3 months..i told them i need 2000 to relocate and move out.they said they cant give 2000 dollars.what would be the best bet best thing to do?? how can i persuade them to give me more money to relocate?or what are my options??please good suggestions

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The Tenants in Foreclosure Act protects you for ninety days. Tell them you will leave sooner if they double their offer.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at


There is a lot of free information on the internet about The Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act. As Ms. Stage stated, generally speaking, even though it's month-to-month, you have 90 days from the date they gave you notice. Just tell them you are invoking the act. They can collect the monthly rent at the rate you were paying to the prior owner (if it was fair). So, if when you stated "and paying $1,000 dollars," you meant they wanted you to pay them $1,000, it would depend on the prior agreement. If you meant they were willing to give you $1,000, and you don't have any money to pay rent, then you might want to take that offer. In addition, if by "apartment" you meant "condo" and they are going to move into the property as their primary residence, then they can ask you to leave that quickly, or even quicker. You don't get 90 days then. Proving they are going to live there is another issue.

The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate, personal property, and bankruptcy issues. Find out more about me at: