Im 22, when I was 6-7 I was molested in class nearly everyday by a teacher assistant. Can I sue elementary school for neglect?

Fontana, CA |

Im 22, when I was 6-7 I was molested in class nearly everyday by a teacher assistant. Can I sue the elementary school for neglect? I know its been years so im not sure if I can still technically do that. Plus the old man is probably deceased by now.

Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

The criminal and civil statutes of limitations for sexual abuse against children can be complicated to understand and apply to individual circumstances. You may want to speak with staff at RAINN. RAINN is the largest and most influential of the advocacy groups for persons who suffered sexual abuse as children and there are a lot of resources, advice, and assistance available through the organization. http://www.rainn.org/public-policy/legal-resources/california/statutes-of-limitations

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Michael L Rich

Michael L Rich

Thanks for linking to RAINN.org I had heard about them years ago but have not had them in my list of resources or on my radar recently until your post reminded me.

Thanks so much for the resource! I have another situation like this and they would be best to direct my questions sounds like. Thank you!