Skip to main content

Im 19 years old and have a child with an immigrant. We just got married. When can we file for my husband to get a green card?

Salem, OR |

He has no criminal background. He owns a janitorial franchisee. I go to college and he takes care of our baby while i'm in school. He is the one who cares for us.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The answer to your question depends on your husband's current immigrant status as well as your own. You may petition for him if you are a U.S. citizen through your marital relationship. However, there are important timing aspects to be aware of. You should consult with an immigration attorney to determine your best available options.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201;; 503-951-8209. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.


I agree with my colleague.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2


You can petition your spouse as soon as you have the marriage certificate. How soon and what needs to be done to finalize the process depends on your status, how he entered the US, whether he qualifies for 245(i), etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer