Skip to main content

Im 17 and i live in indiana and my dad has had a history of violence and he slapped today 5 times and hit me with a hammer

Crown Point, IN |
Attorney answers 3


If you are in fear for your safety and were hit 5 times today including being hit with a hammer, you may need to call the police or 911 immediately before any more violence occurs. Going to court to seek emancipation may be something the police, prosecutor's office or Department of Child Services may help guide you on, but your immediate safety should be your first concern.


I am a NJ attorney, and I do not know IN law. But, Mr. Rodriguez's answer is right on. The only thing I would add is this: Immediately take pictures of any bruises. I am sure that by now there are some which show. With pictures, you can get a criminal charge against your father. Additionally and/or alternatively, at your age, with those pictures, if you call the Indiana Dept. of Child Services (DCS) Child Abuse hotline at 1-800-800-5556, I think they will remove you and set you up in an independent living situation until you turn 18. Then, you will still be eligible for state assistance including living and educational expenses until age 21.

Good luck!

My responses to questions on Avvo are not intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and agreement for legal services. I am available to arrange for a free consultation at (973)455-1237 or (973)538-1758.


You need to go to the police and file a report on all the abuse. You also should go to the nearest court house and request a protective order against your father. Do you have family that you can live with? Where is your mom in all of this? You should contact DCS as well to get some help with dealing with all of this. Unless there is an order otherwise, your Dad will maintain custody until you are 18. Emancipation is hard, emotionally and financially. DCS can help you financially and emotionally. They can find you a good place to live, with relatives if that is possible. More importantly they can get you counseling and medical attention.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer