Skip to main content

Im 16 and i have an acs case open my mom wants to put me back and care , do i have to go to court

Brooklyn, NY |

i went a wall from the care center and have been living on my own for about 2 months now. i have family court coming up in a few weeks. is it possbilbe that i dont have to show up. if i dont can they issue a warrant for my arrest ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If a court has ordered you to show up and appear, you have no recourse but to comply. Failure to do so may cause you more problems than what it is worth. If you have legitimate concerns about your current situation, you should consider talking with an attorney in your local area. There are several that may do free consultations and you would get more concrete answers.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.


If your are the subject child in an open ACS case, then you have an "Attorney for the Child" (formerly known as a law guardian). That person continues to represent you even if the case has not been in court for some time. It may be an attorney from the Legal Aid Society-Juvenile Rights Division or it may be a member of the Law Guardian Panel ( a private attorney assigned to represent you). You should contact that attorney. He or she is most familiar with your case and is in the best person to give you advice in such a difficult situation. Hopefully, you still have that attorney's contact information.

Being AWOL and on your own is never good for a person your age. Please contact your attorney. Best of luck with everything.


You are 16, but still someone's legal responsibility, so the court has an interest in your welfare at this time. If it wants you to show, you must show, as you don't want to wind up with a PINS petition or similar burden. It is actually to your advantage to be there, with your AOC, so that you can voice your desires and needs first hand to the court.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer