Skip to main content

Illegal towing and damages to vehicle

Fort Worth, TX |

My car was illegal towed and kept from me for 2 mo the tow company refused to release it to me, finally we told them we would call TDRL on them and they brought my car back but they stole my battery, broke into my car and tore out my trunk lock, messed up my oil pan, when they lifted my car it hit oil pan, i have tried to get an answer from this company but am getting the run around got estimates, filled out a damage claim form but they are still giving me the run around becouse the damages are around 4000.00 becouse my parts for my car are discontinued, or the whole trunk deck would have to be replaced all together, what should i do now i filed theft with my local police but i dont know if it will do any good, this same company has be caught committing felonies before..

I was sent an email to resubmit my question... all advise is welcomed....The insurance company is not willing to pay for the oil pan damages and they are trying to lie to me and tell me i have to get the deductible from the company responsible for the damages and that the company pays me there deductible and that they will cut me a small check for the rest of the damages cost...What do i do now that they are trying to trick me into taking a small amount that barely covers the cost of a battery and cheap lock assembly?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You can file a complaint with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation against the towing company by visiting the following web address:

You can also review the proposed towing and booting rules at the following web address:

You can review the proposed rules concerning vehicle storage at the following web address:

You may also consider filing a complaint with the Texas Attorney General. The Attorney General may already have an investigation open against the towing company. The web address for complaints is:

Texas Attorney General complaints web address:

If you made demand to the towing company that they turnover your car, and they improperly failed to do so within a reasonable amount of time, the company may be liable for conversion (civil theft) of your car. Your damages in that instance would be the fair market value of the car. If the value of the car is less than $10,000, you can sue in small claims court.

Since you are in the Dallas area, you may wish to take advantage of my free hour of consultation for new clients. If you make an appointment, please bring copies of your pertinent paperwork.

Good luck.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the best answer tab below and/or designate my answer as the best answer. Thanks.


Take them to small claims court to recover.

Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer.

John K Lassen

John K Lassen


Excellent Website! Philadelphia car accident attorney


You can sue them for "conversion" and other causes of action. Hire a lawyer immediately because if you wait too long to file a lawsuit, you may lose the right to sue them. Sounds like you have a good case. Good luck

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer until you sign a contract with my law firm.