Skip to main content

IL Relocation Statute - Removal of Children

Naperville, IL |

Should Marital Settlement Agreements specify relocation guidelines for a case -- or is it more common for Courts to rule based on IL Relocation Statute and not necessary to include in Marital Settlement Agreement?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If a parent wishes to remove a child from Illinois, absent an agreement, he/she must file a Petition seeking removal. It is not necessary to include in a Settlement Agreement.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier


Well said!


A Petition under Illinois law is required to take children out of the state should an Illinois parent desire to move away with the children that are subject to a court order of child custody. No agreement between parents in advance is likely to pass judicial muster.


A parent cannot move out of IL with a minor child unless a court order allows for same. So you don't need that language in the MSA. It doesn't hurt you to have it but you don't need it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer