If your lawyer reached a settlement in a wrong death case should you be responsible for medical bills of the decease

Saint Louis, MO |

im involved in a suit and the hospital made a offer but said the medical bills have to be paid out of the settlement

Medical bills always have to be paid out of the settlement. Who else would pay them but the estate?

I hope this helps-

Nima Taradji
http://personalinjuryattorneyz.com

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information and for entertainment purposes and is only for issues arising under Illinois Law. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is always advisable to contact an attorney directly to find answers based on the facts unique to your case.

Not in Alabama, where proceeds from wrongful death settlements do not pass through the estate but go directly to the heirs at law.

Typically the estate is usually responsible for the outstanding debt including medical bills. You need to check with the specific laws in your state. I recommend you consult with a competent lawyer in your state.
Thank you,
Walter Kane
Kane Varghese Law Firm

Not necessarily. In Missouri, a wrongful death claim belongs to the heir, not the estate. Since the medical bills are an obligation of the estate, they can not attach the wrongful death proceeds typically. However, if the bills were claimed in the suit, it well may be that the settlement has to cover them.