Skip to main content

If you use neighbors property attached to yours for 20 years, can they make you get off.

New Castle, PA |

I have a small plot off my neighbors property I use for keeping a chicken coup. I have used it for 20 years or more. Its mostly swamp land that has never been used by neighbor. Can he ever make me move off?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to speak with a PA attorney and see if you meet the requirements for adverse procedure in PA.


You can actually acquire ownership to the piece of property you have been using, if you meet the requirements for adverse possession. In order to do so, you will have to prove that you have had continuous, open, exclusive possession for over 20 years, and that you were doing so WITHOUT the permission of the true owner.

If you and the landowner have an agreement that you can use the property, then you will not be able to obtain it through adverse possession, and yes - he has the right to eject you.

Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.


Marshall Chriswell

Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
Indiana, PA 15701
(888) 438-5977
(724) 465-5826


Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, and general civil disputes.


Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, feel free to contact our offices.