Skip to main content

If you have joint legal custody and an attorney. Does one still have to share information regarding child with other parent?

Merced, CA |

Dad & I have joint legal custody. Dad & he are in Wa State, I am in Ca. We are going through some custody/visitation issues. Dad has retainted an attorney, filed for change of venue, and now refuses any & all communications with me. Our Son has had some on going medical issues & just had emergency surgery. Dad refuses to share any information with me. The only info I get is via our Son. Who is 11 years old. Dad has also recently taken child out of ccounceling & school, went to Arizon without sharing anything with me ( he has since returned to Wa). Dad feels that now that he has an attorney he can do as he pleases with no regard to me as the co-parent. Help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

Uh.....YES he should be sharing this information with you. I would be screaming holy hell about this. He is alienated your relationship with your son. He should be held accountable for this.

Our Family Wizard is a great suggestion, however if your ex is hell bent on not talking with you, he can do that just as easily on OFW. However, OFW, would allow you to more clearly document his NON communication.

If you can, get a lawyer....soon. Hope this helped you somewhat.

Attorney James R. Fox If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges.


Of course you are entitled to have information about your son, assuming you have joint legal custody. Even if you don't, it would be a good idea for dad to share information with you. I am including links below about custody and visitation orders, and I'd also suggest that you both register for "Our Family Wizard." Good luck.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer