Skip to main content

If you don't have the money for a lawyer, can you get a court-appointed lawyer for an appeal to defend in a state supreme court

Liberty, SC |

Foster family trying to get full custody. Already lost and custody went to mother. Appealing it to state supreme court. They have money for lawyers, the biological mother does not. Can the courts help her out? She shouldn't be penalized b/c they have money and she doesn't

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Dear ?,

There is no right to a court appointed lawyer for a child custody appeal.
She needs to contact:

South Carolina Centers For Equal Justice
Primary Address: PO Box 768
City: Anderson
State: SC
Zipcode: 29622-0768
General Phone: 803-226-7216
Fax: 803-375-9191
Intake Phone: 800-234-7216
Counties Served: Anderson, Oconee
Case Types: Adoption, Bankruptcy, Community Economic Development, Consumer, Child Custody, Dissolution of Marriage, Domestic Violence, Elder Law, Health, Housing, Public Benefits, Wills
Case Restrictions: Cases are prioritized.
Web Site:
Organization Email:

to see if they can help or can refer her to someone who can.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Provis
Cal. Bar No. 104800
Wis. Bar No. 1020123
Member: U.S. Supreme Court Bar


I agree with my colleague. Also check if there are legal clinics that can help.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer