Skip to main content

If you buy a used car in Oregon, singed papers, but wasn't able to drive it away, can the 72HR law apply?

Hillsboro, OR |

Used car,bought but won't run. What about the 72HR law pertaining to this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The existence of a 72 hour cool off period must be some persistent urban legend that won't die. There is no such law in Oregon, probably anywhere.

Talk to the dealership, ask for your money back or to apply it toward a different car. A reputable dealership will work with you. If you were shopping at a disreputable one, then now you know why it's disreputable. Look to your warranty (if you got one) or sales agreement which may provide you with remedies. Otherwise, your best bet is an uphill battle based on a claim for fraud or unfair trade practices. You might want to consult with an attorney about bringing these claims, but unless its a particularly valuable used car, you're likely to end up representing yourself in small claims court. Good luck.

Licensed in Oregon. Advice provided is general information only and is based solely upon the facts provided. It is not intended as legal advice applicable to any specific situation. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until we have met and entered into a written representation agreement. Contact me at 541-250-0542 to discuss your matter further.


Oregon's lemon law applies only to new cars, and as my colleague pointed out, a 72 hour contract rescission period isn't applicable in this type of a situation.

Depending on the facts regarding what you were told when you purchased the car, however, you may have a viable trade practices violation case.

If you found this answer helpful, please click the "Mark as good answer" button, below. If you'd like to contact me regarding potentially representing you with regards to your legal matter, please click on my profile and give my office a call. My answer to your Avvo question, however, is informational only and is not intended to be legal advice, nor does it form the basis for any attorney-client relationship whatsoever, which can only be formed upon signing an Engagement Agreement and depositing a Retainer Fee into client trust. Further, I am only licensed in Oregon and laws vary from state to state. If you have an Oregon-related issue, feel free to contact me for a consultation. If you are outside of Oregon, please consult an attorney in your area for legal advice.