Skip to main content

If you are driving a company vehicle and you hit someone from behind does the company's insurance handle the case

Sacramento, CA |

Was driving a company vehicle the person in front did not us signal to turn i hit them from behind in 2011 and now i just got a summons to go to court in 2013. Does the insurance company take care of the legale matters?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I would urge you to immediately contact the person at your company responsible for your fleet of vehicles. They will have individual information about where the insurance claim at that time went and if any funds were paid out at that time. Only once you have that question can you really know how to move forward.

If the vehicle was insured it should in fact cover all accidents, however if you have riders on your insurance that at fault accidents are the responsibility of the driver, you may need to contact an attorney.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


In New York, car insurance travels with the car. This means that the owner's insurance covers the driver as long as the driver has permission to operate the vehicle. You should refer this to your employer.

I've been litigating civil cases in New York for almost fifteen years including personal injury, medical malpractice, business disputes, construction matters and all other types of civil claims. Feel free to check my website: or shoot me an email at None of the answers I give on Avvo are to be taken as legal advice, nor are they intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is merely general information intended to allow you make an informed decision about your situation. I hope it was helpful.


You should notify both your employer's insurance company and your own carrier. They will work out who will provide the defense to you and pay the claim. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Report the accident to the insurance carrier of the company vehicle to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I agree with Mr Shamtoub & Ms Allen. You should be covered by your employer's insurance but you need to contact the insurance carrier or have your employer do it because you usually have only 30 days to respond. So....... You need to do this immediately!


Other attorneys have answered this, but in CA, insurance follows the car. So, if the car was owned by the company, the company should have insurance to cover it. In addition, whether the company had insurance or not, if you were driving the company car on company business, the company would/could be liable for any negligence you committed while in the "course and scope" of your employment. That is why companies typically have multiple layers of insurance Including general liability, commercial auto, and even umbrella policies.)

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer