Skip to main content

If you are arrested and ICE places a hold on you what does that mean?

Norcross, GA |
Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

It is a letter to the warden of the jail to allow ICE 48 hours to pick up the detainee to question them about their status, before releasing them. If this individual was convicted of a crime or violated their nonimmigrant status, they can be removed from the U.S., even if the I-94 is not expired.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Means you better hurry to hire the best immigration lawyer money can buy for the detained person.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It depends on the crime.

If it is serious, they may want to try to deport this person ... after the criminal system is done with them.

Make sure that the criminal defense lawyer consults with an immigration lawyer.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Probably means ICE will not release you from custody and you are a mandatory detention. Also means to contact a experienced immigration lawyer right away.

Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Speak to an experienced attorney before making decisions.


It means the person needs an immigration lawyer and a criminal lawyer as many criminal offenses can cause a non-citizen to be deported. Call me at 404-812-4305 if you would like to discuss this case in detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer