Skip to main content

If three sisters and one brother own a home does it take all four if them to sell it or just one?

Glasgow, KY |

three sisters and one brother own their parents home and the parents have passed away does it take one or all four to sell it

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In order to transfer voluntarily you would need unanimous consent. If you cannot obtain unanimous consent you may need to file a partition by sale action and force a sale. Any person that owns and undivided concurrent interest in land can seek a partition. Certainly if you can work something out without going to court that would likely be better for everyone involved. But, I realize there are times when working something out becomes impossible.

I am licensed in Ohio & Kentucky, posting a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I am not providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages.