Skip to main content

If there is no rental agreement can a person be evicted?

Downey, CA |

If a person is living in my house and her boyfriend was paying the rent, and he moved out to another state, and no agreement existed between he a and I, can I evict the girlfriend solely on the basis of no rental agreement?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You and her boyfriend did have an agreement. He paid the rent, and you let him live there.

The issue is what the agreement was. If the agreement was that he and his girlfriend would live there, then she was a party to the rental agreement, as well. That her boyfriend paid the rent does not affect the fact that she still owes it. If she is not paying the rent, you can give her a three-day notice. If she does pay, you can give her a 30-day notice.

On the other hand, if you had an agreement with the boyfriend alone and she just happened to live there without paying rent, she is a long-term house guest, and you could call the police. This scenario is very unlikely.


The answer to your question depends on the details and what you mean by "solely on the basis of no rental agreement." There are several laws which may cover the girlfriends status depending on the facts. You should seek the advice and services of a local landlord/tenant attorney if you wish the girlfriend to vacate the premises and she will not do it voluntarily.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference



Responses to Avvo questions are based on a general discussion of the law and in no way constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created, and you should not take or fail to take actions based on my answers. Consult an attorney in your area. Time is often of the essence. Act quickly!


Yes, probably through the use of a 30 day notice.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


You cannot evict. Only a court can evict. You CAN terminate the oral agreement with proper written notice IAW your states' laws, if she refuses to leave, you will have to take her to court to evict.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.



Hell of a Name!