If there is a will that reads all assests are divided up equal do you need to get lawyer involved when selling house?

Greenville, SC |

Will reads all assests divided up equally between 2 daughters. The daughters are wanting to sell house how do we go about doing this?

You can list it yourselves or you can hire a real estate agent. When you sell the property, you will need to have a lawyer involved to do the closing.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.

While it may be possible to probate this without a lawyer, I believe you could save yourself a lot of time, frustration and perhaps even money by having a lawyer help you. I say this because you do not know how to proceed. You do not know what is involved in the process and that makes it likely you will make a misstep. It sounds like this would be a relatively cheap and easy administration. I would at least consult with a lawyer to educate yourselves on the process, so you will not be starting blind.

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

To make sure that everything is transferred properly it is recommended that a probate attorney be involved with the deed of distribution and a lawyer be involved with the actual sale of the property. Too many things could go wrong by doing it yourself and if you are the personal representative there may be liability.

Evan Guthrie Law Firm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. The Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices in the areas of estate planning probate wills living trust special needs trusts personal injury accident and divorce and family law and entertainment law. For further information visit his website at http://www.ekglaw.com . Forbes http://blogs.forbes.com/people/evanguthrielawfirm/ Findlaw http://pview.findlaw.com/view/4647185_1 Lowcountry Senior Network http://www.lowcountrysn.com/directory.asp?cat=26 Evan Guthrie Law Firm 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Evan Guthrie is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. For further information visit his website at www.ekglaw.com <ekglaw.com>.