Skip to main content

If the father signs his rights over does he still have to pay child support

Vancouver, WA |
Attorney answers 1


The dad cannot just "sign his rights over" and avoid child support. He cannot relinquish parental rights unless it is in connection with an adoption proceeding, or a juvenile court case to terminate parental rights for abuse or neglect.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this answer is general in nature, may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question, and may be different in the State where the facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer