Skip to main content

If the father doesnt pay child support does he have the right to see the child if the parents were never married

Spartanburg, SC |
Attorney answers 2


Child support payments and biological father visitation rights are two totally different areas of the law. One has nothing to do with the other.

Hire a lawyer and have the back child support become a topic of a court petition for the benefit of the child.

Good luck.


Under SC law, a mother has sole custody of a child that is born illegitimately. If the father's name is on the birth certificate, then he may petition for visitation rights. At the same time, the mother may petition for child support. Neither one is dependent upon the other, however. If a parent does not visit or provide any support to a child for a period of six months, that parents rights may be terminated by the court permanently.

My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction where the legal issue may be filed or in the state where the law applies.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer