If someone is served with papers in trust matters to produce accounting how long do they have to produce

Irvine, CA |

what the courts have ordered?and how long is an appraisal on a house good for before it has to be appraised again?

Typically, when the probate court orders an accounting it will set an OSC. That is the date the accounting is due. How long is an appraisal good? It depends on the purpose for which it was obtained and any reasons for a reappraisal.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

The person requesting the accounting should have given you notice that there would be a hearing on the request. If the court finds that an accounting is required and issues an order it will contain a date by which the accounting must be filed with the court and served on the parties/interested persons. The court may set an date for an Order to Show Cause why you should not be held in contempt of court if you do not produce the accounting by the required date. If you are the person ordered to produce an accounting, you should have been served with the order. There is no guideline other than "reasonableness" for how long an appraisal is good. I would suggest that if you do not have an appraisal newer than 90 days,you will want to have the property reappraised. Also, if you are the trustee, you will have a beginning appraisal for when you became trustee or at a later accounting.

Nothing contained in the information on this web site is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases and readers are responsible for obtaining such advice from their own legal counsel. This web site is intended for educational purposes only. Michael R. Weinstein, is licensed to practice only before the courts of the State of California, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Central District and the United States Cou rt of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit. No information contained herein is to be considered applicable to legal matters in domestic or foreign jurisdictions outside of the State of California.

I concur with the other two answers.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. It is recommended that you contact an attorney directly for a more complete response.