Skip to main content

If someone is charged with battery for assaulting you is it easy to get an order of protection or restraining order ?

Atlanta, GA |

I'm thinking about getting an order of protection or taking out a restraining order on a woman who attacked me and my twin sister twice last month.Is it going to be easy because a warrant was issued in court (at the application warrant hearing) this past Friday.Will I have to go back to the courthouse and file again and wait for another court date or will it have been already in place from the battery charge.This is my very first time dealing with the courts or court period.Additional information that I have about the woman is that she was on probation for a felony and a misdemeaner,actually a couple...but anyway I just want to know what are my rights at this point.I don't want to allow her anymore chances to attack me or any of my relatives again.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Talk with the victim's advocate in the Fulton County prosecutor's office.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


I agree with Glen about speaking with the victim advocate. However, in most assault/battery cases there is a no contact provision that is a special condition of bond. Violating the order would subject the Defendant to immediate arrest and possibly remaining in jail until trial. If the Defendant is convicted, no contact will most likely be a special condition of probation. But to answer your question, it would be easy to get a restraining order. I'm just not sure that it's necessary.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and is meant for informational purposes only.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer