Skip to main content

If someone has an order of protection against me, is it possible that I can move?

Bronx, NY |

My neighbor has an order of protection against me for 2 years. I was just wondering if I can use that to move because I really don't even wanna see this guy at all not even by mistake.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You can move for any reason. The order of protection should not restrict your movements.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


The order of protection would only effect your moving closer to the neighbor, not farther away.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


You can move but it won't help you break your lease if that is what you are asking.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



No, I live with my mom


Is your issue that you want to break a lease? If so, you must post this question under the category "Landlord/Tenant." If the issue is that you have children and wish to see whether this is a basis to move with them over the other parent's consent, then I encourage you to call a Bronx Co. Child Custody lawyer to schedule a follow-up consultation.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer