Skip to main content

If someone else used your social security number and name and didn't pay a bill can the place take money out of our checks

Wichita, KS |

It's some credit cards and its on our credit report but it wasn't us so now were getting bills and notice to judgment debtor for non-earning garnishment. I just want to know can they take money out of our bank and checks?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have a judgment against you, yes, the judgment creditor can likely take steps to garnish wages or seize funds from a bank account. Exceptions are subject to state law.

I suggest you contact an attorney in your state for assistance. has an attorney search feature that will connect you with experienced consumer protection advocates.

It is likely you will need to take the necessary steps to vacate the judgment(s) against you. You may have other judgments of which you are unaware. You should also check your consumer credit reports ( to monitor the impact on your credit standing. A consumer protection attorney will be able to assist you with all of the necessary steps. I would suggest consulting with an attorney sooner than later, before additional damage is done.

Identity theft has been the top consumer complaint for over a decade. So while you are not alone, I understand that it is a nightmare of a situation. The good news - there is help, often at little or no cost to you.

All the best to you.

NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an attorney must engage in a consultation with a prospective client and review any pertinent documents. This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Amy L. Wells or WELLS LAW OFFICE, INC.

Brian S Wayson

Brian S Wayson


That right there is an outstanding answer from Attorney Wells.


In addition to my esteemed colleague's wise advice, be sure to notify the Social Security Administration about how your social security number is being misused.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer