Skip to main content

If someone backs up to you (in missouri) in a parking lot and they are at fault can they get away with not fixing my car?

Clinton, MO |

i was exiting a parking lot and i had to stop while other cars were leaving the parking lot. a man in a jeep wrangler backed up into my car. his spare tire pushed up into the side of my car and left a pretty good dent. we called the cops and exchanged insurance info. when the cops came they said since it was in a parking lot (private property) they couldn't issue a police report. the cop just wrote all our info down and that was it. the accident happened on a saturday, i waited til mon. and decided to go get a quote. i waited til later that day before calling his insurance company to see if he turned it in yet. he hadn't. his insurance co. called me today and said that in iowa (i guess thats where his insurance company is out of) each person covers the damage to their own car? am i screwed

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Simply report the accident to your insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


The guy who backs up into you is liable. The insurance company is incorrect. File in small claims or the appropriate court.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


File a claim with your own insurance and explain how the accident happened.. Besy of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


The other party is responsible for the damage he caused. The liability issue is governed by Missouri law, not Iowa law because Missouri is where the accident happened. You should turn this in to your carrier if you have more than liability coverage.

This response provides general information only. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and it is not intended as legal advice.


No file a lawsuit, his insurance company has to defend him.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer