Skip to main content

If Pro Se has privileges as attorney; &need 'co-rep' who speaks&articulates better, what would that law or statute be

Katy, TX |

The mother is an alcoholic and batterer, with penfing assault charges/court hearing.\
Father has filed a TRO

+ Read More

Filed under: Representing yourself
Attorney answers 4


While the law allows any party to represent themselves, thus "Pro Se", a non-lawyer can not act in any legal capacity for that Pro Se litigant; in other words, can not "co-rep" the Pro Se litigant. It is always extremely dangerous to represent oneself in a legal proceeding; however if you have a difficulty or impediment in being able to communicate, that only serves to magnify the dangers of doing so. You should reconsider retaining a lawyer.


A litigant who represents himself has a fool for a client. Furthermore, as my colleague has noted, a non-lawyer cannot appear for or speak on behalf of a litigant. Hiring an attorney is the best move.


If you hire an attorney, let the attorney do the work. Attorney's have the legal knowledge and the training to handle these matters. You likely do not. Do you want competent legal representation or merely an educated parrot to say what you want said?

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.


Hire a lawyer and do not represent yourself if you can avoid it at all costs. You either are in pro per and rep yourself or you have a licensed attorney. You can't just bring a friend into court to argue your case for you? You can bring and ask permission to present witnesses? if you have trouble articulating your position, submit a legal brief outling the current and valid law on your subject and the facts. You can attach documents and a declaration under oath from you and your witnesses outlining the facts and stating the documents submitted are true and correct copies of the originals. You will need a copy for the court and yourself and one for each other party to the case.

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.