Skip to main content

If our child support ends when my son turns 18, can we extend it for college, if so how & do I have to go back to court to it?

Alpharetta, GA |

The details are unclear regarding the extended support until the age of 20, would he have to live at home to receive that support? and would that prevent us from applying for every loan known to man kind in addition to the child support.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Support extends to age 18 or up to 20 if the child is still in high school. If the child is 18 and has finished hight school, that is the end of the mandatory support.


Courts in Georgia, with two exceptions, CANNOT order support past age 18.

The first is IF the child is still in high school on his 18th birthday, support can be ordered until he graduates high school, but not past age 20. There is NO college support.

The other is if you and the other parent agree, in a support or divorce case, to fund college voluntarily. A judge can order that agreement to be followed.

But no, you cannot make him do it.

ATTORNEY GLEN ASHMAN 404-768-3509 . If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


You can't make your ex pay for college if it was not agreed to in the original order. Ther is no reason you can t apply for student loan with no involvement or input from your ex.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL:, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation