If my work contract ends on July 10th, and the H1B visa expiration date is July 11th. When is the last day that I can stay?

Chicago, IL |

The H1B visa is with a school institution. I thought that at least there would be a week or a month to get out of the country without having any problems.

You would leave on or before July 11th.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

The last day you can be here is July 11th unless your I-94 states that you were granted a 10 day grace period following that date to depart the US.

My colleague is correct ... look at your I-94 ... that is your departure date.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

The date on your I-94 controls.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.