Skip to main content

If my suspended licence from another state expires, can a I get a different one in another state?

Gatlinburg, TN |

My licence was suspended in California in 2009 for not paying a fine for not having insurance. I moved to Tennessee shortly after and I have not attempted to get a new licence.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


No. If your license is suspended in one state, it is suspended in all other states. States share information about drivers and traffic violations. So, if you apply for a license in Tennessee, the state of Tennessee will check the national records and will see that your license is suspended in California and will refuse to give you a driver's license.

I believe Colorado might be an exception, but you would have to move there, establish residency, then go through a court hearing to see if Colorado would grant you a driver's license even though your license is suspended in California. And even if you did all of that, the license would only be good in Colorado and you would still be suspended in all other states.

I suggest that you hire a traffic law attorney in California to help you resolve your issue there and get your license reinstated.

The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.