Skip to main content

If my son goes to college, will i have to pay child-support after the age of 18?

Saint Paul, MN |

My sons mother, tells me I have to pay child-support til the age of 21. Because he will be going to college. Is this true?

I was never married to his mother, don't know if that makes a difference??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Under Minnesota law, child support terminates at the age of 18 or graduation from high school, whichever occurs later UNLESS the child is disabled and incapable of self support or the parents agreed as part of a court order to a longer child support term.

In short, without an agreement, there is no obligation of support for college.