Skip to main content

If my school delays my graduation by a year can I recoup that years lost income?

New York, NY |

My school screwed up a grade for a class that was a required and refused to let me move on in my program, they later fixed the problem but the damage was done cause the classes i needed only happen once a year. This action (alone) caused my graduation to be delayed by a year, I was otherwise in good standing and on time. is there any cases where students can recoup the lost income and additional interest on student loans which occurred as a result?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You can try, but assuming you show liability, you must show your damages. Your income would be speculative and you will not be awarded damages on speculative damages. Consult a local PI attorney.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


Colleges are able to change their graduation requirements and program requirements as they see fit. They are able to make a determination on whether you can move on in you program as well. You could consult a local education or personal injury attorney to discuss possible options.

Good Luck!

Ms. Riley may be reached at 347-501-8042 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Riley's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Riley is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.