Skip to main content

If my non-child support paying ex remarries, can I ask the court to order him to pay based on his new wife's income?

Stockton, CA |

I have sole physical custody and did not get a support order put in place because my ex had no job at the time and asked me to consider the possibility that he will immediately go into arrears and it would affect his ability to search for and gain employment. To my knowledge, 3 years later, he still does not work. I know that he lives independently with his new fiancé and recently proposed. If he has money to buy a ring, he should have money to help me with his 3 children. The fiancé has a full time job.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


No...she has no legal obligation to support your child.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.