Skip to main content

If my injury was sustained prior to marriage is my wife entitled to the W. Comp settlement?

Marrero, LA |

The accident occurred 1 year prior to the wedding, we are now separated after 2 yrs of marriage, with no reconciliation in sight.
I anticipate a settlement soon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Are you legally separated or just physically separated? When the time comes for divorce, I think it is an issue to discuss with your attorney. Arguably it is your separate property because the triggering event happened prior to the marriage but a divorce attorney should know if a wc award is considered separate property regardless. If the time of the receipt of the income matters, then if you are legally separated you are protected. Contact a divorce attorney.


Since this is primarily a family law question and not a workers compensation question you need to change the category to family law so that you can get some answers from attys in your state that do that type of work.


You need to talk with your divorce attorney about this because some benefits (disability) may be excluded from a divorce settlement.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


Louisiana generally does not have legal separation. Usually though, it depends what part is attributable to lost income. Income is a community asset. If it caused you to lose income that you would have earned during the marriage, then you may have a potential community property issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer