If my husbands income is less than federal poverty guidelines who is entitled to sponsor me?

Newnan, GA |

My husband and I are filling out my I-130 and I-485,in which he is to fill in the affidavit of support,but reading the federal poverty guidelines annually his income is way less. Is he still eligible to sponsor me or as I am living with my in laws will my mother in law have to sponsor me in order to get my adjustment of status? If so what documents do I need to support evidence of his or her income. Please I am in need of legal advice ASAP!

Look to the I-864 Affidavit of Support instructions, if your husband does not earn enough to file a Affidavit of Support for you by himself, you can also include your in laws' income together with his income, in order to meet the required income amount, since you all live together in the same household. If you include his income and your in laws' income together, your in laws will have to also have to fill out a I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member.

Any USC or LPR who meets the poverty guidelines and is will to be responsible can be a co-sponsor.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Any individual that is a Legal Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen. Note that the co-sponsor's income must meet the guidelines on his or her own. The income of the sponsor and the co-sponsor are not combined to meet the criteria. You can go to USCIS.gov and look at form I-864P to get a straight forward chart of the current federal poverty guidelines. Good luck!

Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.

Lino Raul Rodriguez Jr.

To clarify on the above answer ... if the co-sponsor and the sponsor do not live in the same household the two incomes can't be combined to meet the guidelines.

Carly Stadum

Carly Stadum

However, here they live together, so they can combine the two incomes to meet the guidelines.