If my husband gets a inheritenc from his dad then buys a rental house in his name only does it become martial property if divor

Vero Beach, FL |

if my husband gets an inheritence from his dad then buys a rental house in his name only does it become marital propertyif we decide to divorce

The house is not marital property, but any appreciation during the marriage maybe.

The above is for informational and educational purposes only, does not establish an attorney client relationship, and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. The only legal advice offered is to have this matter reviewed and discussed by a competent attorney of your own choice.

even if he buys it while we are married? he is doing it out of spite. i collect and deposit the rent call repair men also

we have been married for 28 years

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

That bastard. See below. My contact information is with AVVO. God Bless You and enjoy the holiday.

Also, if you contribute anything to the rental property, that may give you an interest.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Heather...you? I was counting on you to scold this person. Come on kid, you're one the good ones. LOL. Have a great day. Best, Dave

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Well, you know, I just try to answer the questions. Although I did notice that after this question was answered once it was posted AGAIN which really gave me pause. Sort of as if the questioner was hoping if the question was answered again the answer would be "oh yes of course it is marital property."

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

Although I have to tell you, I am not in favor of the new legislation proposed regarding alimony and time sharing.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

In all respects?

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

No. I thin it is too rigid, and I totally disagree that there should be a presumption of 50/50 timesharing. I think the intention is good but the result will be increased litigation and an even more unfair benefit to whichever party has more cash.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

I can't say that I totally disagree with your view of the ultimate outcome, but (and I candidly concede that my view of this entire realm of "the law", if it can be called that, is tainted by my personal experience with my ex-wife, also a lawyer, and a fifteen year DCF supervising attorney, who has no problem using our daughters as cannon fodder [see Dept of Children and Families v. D.B.D.]), but I am shocked just to see potential signs of good gender neutral intentions

Heather Morcroft

Heather Morcroft

I just wish that the legislature had a better idea of how some of their intentions actually play out in the field.

The house is not marital property. Inheritance assets obtained are not considered martial assets unless in your case, he put your name on the title, or if he uses marital funds to repair the home, make improvements etc. Inherited property must be co-mingled in some way for it to become marital property. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

LOL. Helps what?

It's nice that you are planning ahead and thinking about these considerations.

So often wom....I mean, er.....one gender of the two possible (sorry, hermaphrodites; you're too hard to calculate in this mix) just take everything without planning ahead and calculating coldly in advance.

Awesome

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {305} 972-5720), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

David Bradley Dohner

David Bradley Dohner

Sorry. I probably could have been more helpful. If you are really mapping things out and doing your very best to maximize your ROI, maybe you haven't thought seriously enough about euthanizing him rather than the divorce process. Remember, once he receives the inheritance, even if he suspects your plot and tries to craft a will that would prevent you from claiming his inherited family property, you would be able to assert your God given right to what is called an "elective share", thereby avoiding the bastards attempt to keep that property away from you. If you decide to go that route, please schedule an appointment with my office.