Skip to main content

If my friend graduates from highschool at 17 can she legally move out of her parent's house?

Lincoln, NE |

She has a terrible home situation, and her parents say they want to keep her until she is 18.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Nope. 19 is the legal age of majority in Nebraska. If her home situation is truly unsafe she or someone can report to DHHS and they may be able to help.

This Web site does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and GordenLaw, LLC. The Answer given above does not constitute legal advice and is designed to provide general knowledge only. The Attorney responding above is not able to advise you specifically about your issue without further details of your case and establishing an attorney-client representation.


If she is being abused, she can call CPS and report the situation. In Nebraska 19 is the age of majority and until then, her parents can call the police and report her as a runaway.

I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal advice. It is merely my opinion based on the limited information given. In order to assure that your legal rights are being properly represented I would always recommend going in for a consultation with an attorney to explain your case in detail and answer any questions the attorney might have.


In the State of Nebraska, the age of majority is 19. However, she can attempt to get emancipated depending on her situation.

Although I am licensed to practice law in the State of Nebraska, this communication does not establish an attorney client relationship. This answer is not a substitute for legal advice from your attorney. It is meant as a brief overview of the process to enhance your knowledge about and comfort with the basic litigation process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer