If my fiancee agrees to what is in the prenuptial. how long for her lawyer to 'negotiate' it and have her sign it?

New York, NY |

also is a postnuptial agreement in new york the same and as enforceable as a prenuptial agreement?

Best Answer

Negotiation time may vary - there's no real "deadline" as it depends on the issues involved. And yes, a properly-drawn postnuptial is as enforceable as a prenuptial. For a 2d opinion, schedule a consultation with a NYC Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Post nups exist and are enforceable. I don't know what your wife will say after a lawyer advises her of her legal rights. You may be unpleasantly surprised.

How reasonable is any ex wife after meeting with he divorce attorney?

Brad S. Margolis

Brad S. Margolis

If she meet with most of us she would hear all her rights and obligation s. That can make almost anyone unreasonable . Good Luck

Depends if she agrees. Post nups and pre nups are both enforceable if represented by separate counsel and full disclsoure.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

If she meet with most of us she would hear all her rights and obligation s. That can make almost anyone unreasonable .

Good Luck

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in NY so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction. IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY MARGOLIS BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points.

If she "agrees" without really knowing what the alternatives to agreeing are, then she's not really agreeing and the "agreement" may not be enforceable. A good attorney will advise her of the alternatives, and then let her make the choice and negotiate on her behalf accordingly. It is not for the attorney to advise her to give up or not give up certain rights or obligations--only to inform her of what they are, and then let her make the choice. In that case, the "negotiations" depend upon your fiancee's requirements. So, if as you say, she agrees, then it won't take long at all. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.