Skip to main content

If my ex husband changes jobs that pays 50s less will his child support change ?

Corona, CA |

My ex husband plans on moving out of state and taking a job that pays 50s less . He also is leaving our son with me . He states that since his new job will be half the amount he currently makes my child support and alimony will be substantially reduced . Is this true ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes, his child support obligation MAY be reduced. However, if he VOLUNTARILY quit his job then you need to argue that it was his choice to take a pay cut and your child should not suffer because of it. The amount of money needed to support your son has not changed--you both still live in CA. Also, if your son will stay with you in CA full-time, then the timeshare upon which the child support order was based will increase so you may be entitled to more child support if you play your cards right. I'd suggest hiring a lawyer to help you with this one--the legal arguments can be a bit complicated. I'm including links below which may prove helpful. Good luck.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer