If my daughter's first name is misspelled on a shoplifting ticket, can that overturn the ticket?

Garland, TX |

She was caught. They had her passport card in hand as they wrote out ticket. Her name was misspelled anyway. She is 18

Probably not. Generally, misspelled names are not fatal to a case as long as they can prove that the person charged is the same person who did it.

Not likely. It is an error, but the officer will get on the stand and testify that he did make the typo error, but that the defendant in the courtroom is the person who the ticket was written on.

Unfortunately it has no effect on the complaint and it can be amended to the right name. This is a serious offense that can severe ramifications on your daughters life. Consult a criminal lawyer about what can be done on the case to avoid it becoming a permanent part of your daughter's record.