Skip to main content

If medical bills were paid through the state based on my income what happens with a personal injury lawsuit?

Houston, TX |

if i decide to sue ,do i have to go for the medical bills that were already paid and if their insurance wont pay will i then be liable if the hospital reverses the charges because of a lawsuit? how does this work because i dont want to have to pay back 23,000 if i dont win my case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You only have a duty to pay them back if you recover from the third party's insurance. If you don't recover, then you have no duty to pay them. Your attorney can also negotiate a reduction on the lien amount depending on several factors that include, but are not limited to, the amount of your recovery. If you have any questions or would like to discuss further, don't hesitate to contact me.

Sam K. Mukerji


If you don't win, you won't have to pay them back.

If you win, your lawyer will work with them to agree to not forcing a payback, or paying back a lower portion.

Feel free to holler. There are some hidden issues in your case I'd like to tell you about.

888.473.2820 toll-free


If you receive money on the claim, you will be require to pay back the state because the state paid for your medical care.

A lawyer may be able to negotiate with the state to reduce the amount owed.

If you lose the case and get no money, you will not have to pay back the state.

You should not give a statement, give access to your medical information or sign any insurance company forms without speaking to a lawyer.

The insurance company is not your friend and is not concerned with your injuries and pain.

They goal is to make $ by paying as little as possible on the claim. They will frustrate by delaying payment, giving you a low offer, or denying claim hoping you will get mad and go away.

I should know because I worked as a lawyer for insurance companies for 10 years.

You may a claim to recover: (1) medical bills; (2) lost wages; (3) compensation for pain, impairment, and disfigurement.

I would be more than happy to talk with you about the accident. I can be reached at (214) 800-3454. Our firm handles cases throughout Texas.

Please visit the links below for free information about Dallas car accidents. You can also send a confidential e-mail to my website at


Jason Kipness


Generally, any State medical plan, such as Medicaid etc. will have a subrogation interest in your personal injury recovery and will look for repayment of the bills they have already paid for you.

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney concerning your case and see whether or not you would benefit from legal representation.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer