Skip to main content

If in a accident and you told that the one at fault do not have proper insurance coverage,what do that mean.

Monroe, LA |
Attorney answers 3


I believe this or a very similar question was asked and answered. It sounds like the other vehicle does not have insurance coverage that would pay for the damage to your car or your injuries and medical treatment. However you won't know until an attorney reviews the insurance policy and cancellation. If you have uninsured motorist coverage you'll need to make a claim with your own car insurance.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.


You or the driver of the car in which you were riding may have Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage and/or medical payments coverage--Medical Payments Coverage is also known as Personal Injury protection. If YOU own a car with uninsured coverage or medical payments coverage, you can assert a claim if the driver does not have UM or his coverage is insufficient.--If you are a minor or a member of a household with an auto policy, there may also be coverage. Note: Make sure the driver of the at-fault of the vehicle is also the owner. If the driver of the at-fault vehicle was not the owner and has their own car and insurance policy, there would be liability coverage under that policy before you broach the UM coverage issue.


Have an attorney review your policy asap.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer