Skip to main content

If im 17 can i move out of my parents house without their permission?

Carmel, NY |

Im 17 as of decemember i want to know once i turn 17 am i legally aloud to leave my parents house or can they say that im a run away? Am i able to pack my stuff and leave and have nothing else to do with them?

Im in NYS. I thought that they changed the law that 17 was legal. I know that means with the whole statutory rape but im hoping its legal matters like this to...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


18 is the legal age of majority in New York. You cannot move out at 17 without being emancipated. 17 is the legal age of sexual consent. It is a completely different issue.

Legal disclaimer: All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website



So if i get emancipated does that change things, but what happens for say if i just leave without being emancipated?


If you become emancipated, you may move out. To learn more about becoming emancipated, I suggest you start with the information at the following link:
Good luck!

You may contact Ms. Brown at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


18 is the legal age of majority unless you get a court order emancipating you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


I am sorry to hear about your situation. No, you have to wait until you;re 18 unless your emancipated. Here's some info. on it from the link:

If there is no official court process for becoming emancipated, what conditions must I meet to be considered emancipated?

In order to be considered emancipated, you must:

· Be over the age of 16

· Not live with either of your parents (unless you live away from home only because of school, camp, college, or other temporary situation)

· Not receive any financial support from your parents (unless a court has ordered them to pay you support or you only receive benefits that you are entitled to, such as Social Security)

· Have your own job as your main source of income (unless your job is only a summer or vacation job)

· Not be in foster care, or under court ordered supervision

You can also be considered emancipated if you:

· Enter the military

· Get married

A child might be considered emancipated if he/she leaves his/her parents home without a good reason. The child must also refuse to obey the reasonable demands of his/her parents. If the child leaves for a good reason, however, (such as child abuse) the parents will most likely still have to support their child. If that child is under 16, however, they will not be emancipated and will only fall under the supervision of Family Court.

If I am an emancipated child under 18 years old, what are my rights?

You have the right to:

· Keep your own wages

· Establish your own legal residence

· Go to school where you live

· Sue your parents for support if they forced you to leave home

· Receive some public benefits, depending on how you became emancipated

If I am an emancipated child under 18 years old, do I still need my parents’ permission for anything?

You must still get your parents’ permission to:

· Get working papers

· Get a learner’s permit or driver’s license

· Get routine health care (unless it is an emergency, because of a sexually transmitted disease (STD), for family planning services, for alcohol or mental health treatment, or if you are pregnant, a parent, or married)

You must also meet age and consent requirements to get married.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
Hayley Greenberg
Greenberg & Merola, LLP
Attorneys at Law
521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
New York, NY 10175
(212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
(Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer