Skip to main content

If I work out of status, can I have problems with getting green card through my husband .

Galveston, TX |

Hello. I got married 2 months ago, now I want to apply for green card..befor merriege I had a tourist visa and I worked with this visa , I stil work now out of you think is going to be a problem to get green card through my husband????

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Depends on whether you marry a US citizen or someone else.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Congratulations on your marriage.
It is a potential problem which should be fully reviewed by an immigration attorney before you apply for a permanent residency status.
Wish you the best.


You need to consult with an attorney. Howevber, if oyu are marrying a US citizen you should be fine as long as you disclose that you worked.


No problem if you are married to a US citizen.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


You will only be fine if your husband is a U.S. Citizen. You should work with an immigration lawyer since you are out of status and could be placed in deportation proceedings if you do not do everything correctly. You can find out more information about the adjustment of status application on my website at

Andre Olivie
Immigration Lawyer
(206) 724-1940 - Call Anytime

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.