Skip to main content

If I work for a Canadian company on a work visa and the parent company is located in the USA can I be transferred on a L-1 Visa?

Boca Raton, FL |

I'm not a Canadian or US citizen but I have a Canadian work permit and I work for a branch of a US company based in Canada. If I wanted a transfer to the US corporate office would the L-1 Visa be the Visa to accomplish this goal? I'm asking because I'm unsure if I would need to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada to be transferred to the US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You do not need to be a Canadian citizen
For more info please see

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


Your citizenship won't disqualify you from getting an L-1, if you are otherwise qualified.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Note that your COMPANY would need to be the one to fill out all the paperwork, pay all fees, and provide all documentation to demonstrate the relationship between the companies, your having worked for at least one year of the past three for a related company abroad, and your current and desired future positions both meeting criteria for L1A or L1B.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.


Citizenship is irrelevant for Ls.