Skip to main content

If I win money in a civil suit and owe child support. Can it be taken out of my award?

Tustin, CA |

I am in prison for 10 more years. Child support was done after my incarceration. Judge did not know I was incarcerated at the time of child support judgement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A lien can be filed in a pending civil action to collect on your child support. So the short answer to your question is, yes, back child support can be taken out of any award you may obtain in a civil action if the party owed the support files a lien in that civil action for the collection of that obligation

This information is provided for general educational purposes only including answers posted to questions asked. It is not intended to be relied on as legal advice. Your particular facts and circumstances must be considered to determine appropriate legal advice. Always consult with a competent attorney, licensed in your state, to discuss your particular situation. The material contained in this answer is provided solely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between you and the responding Attorney. The information in this answer is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. It should not be relied upon or construed as legal advice. You should not act or elect not to act based upon this information without seeking professional counsel.