Skip to main content

If I was married in the U.S to my husband who is in political asylum,will this expedite my I-730 derivative asylum process?

New York, NY |

My husband has been approved for political asylum. We were married in the state of northern Virginia 2 months before his asylum was filed and approved. He will file the I-730 to bring me to the u.s soon. I am currently based in Lebanon.Given that our marriage took place and was certified in the u.s, will this help expedite the approval of my derivative asylum?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It will allow you to come to the US as an asylee, but it won't expedite your application.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


That will allow you to come and join your husband in the US, but will not expedite your application.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Your marriage just allows your husband to bring you into the US as a Derivative Asylee. It does not give you rights for expedited processing. However, there are other grounds to make that request, but you should consult an attorney.


I agree with my colleagues. It will permit you to enter the United States, but you will still need to go through the process to acquire your asylum status. You should contact an attorney to assist you with this process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer